Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Bread that I made.....looks pretty-I think! Recipe included.

I got my bread made. I wish I would have let it cook as long as the recipe said. Our oven usually cooks things faster and of course I got very anxious to see and taste the bread. So, I pulled it out too early. So, I had to put it back in the oven. The kids really liked it. They love bread I think as much as their Dad and I do. I'm adding the recipe to the bread here so if anyone wants to make it they can. Just remember to let it finish baking....don't be like me and be impatient! I got it from Sugar n' Spice that posts over on the Taste of Home bulletin board. I have other recipes that my friends over there have posted for me to try. I can't wait to make them all.

Basic White Bread

2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
2 3/4 cups water
6 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons shortening, softened
Dissolve yeast in water, in a large bowl

Add half the flour, and the sugar, salt,and shortning.

Blend at low speed, then beat 2 minutes at med speed.

Mix in remaining flour by hand.

Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Stir the batter hard for 30 seconds.

Spread into 2 8in greased loaf pans (batter will be sticky).

Let rise until doubled, about 20 minutes.

Bake at 325 for about 45 minutes, until golden brown and done.


Miriam said...

I've never tried this kind of bread recipe - I might have to!

Also - did you know that 1 pkg. of yeast is 2 1/2 tsp? Just in case you ever buy it in bulk (TONS cheaper that way).

Angie said...

Yeah, I buy the jar of it and it does save you a lot of "dough" LOL!!! :0) Thanks for the tip though.